Kearney Nebraska History
The two-eastbound caravan that joined to help build what most motorists now know as Nebraska Highway 30. Drivers on the freeway, driving through central Nebraska, realized that the destination city should be a daily attraction, as it has been for many years.
Perched on a scenic, 80-acre wooded cliff overlooking the Missouri River, it gives today's visitors an insight into why Lewis and Clark took notice of the area over 200 years ago. It contains exhibits that trace the history of Kearney, from its beginnings as a settlement in the late 19th century to its current status as an international tourist destination.
It was planned that a new post on Grand Island in the Platte River would be called Fort Kearny in honor of the late US President John F. Kennedy. The post was initially called Fort Childs, but later renamed Fort Kearney, as it was located near the Missouri River and on the west bank of the river.
Kearney City became the county seat of the original Kearney County, founded in 1860, and Nebraska City remained the county seat of Otoe County until its annexation by Nebraska County in 1864. A third community, South Omaha City, was founded in 1870 as an independent county on the west bank of Grand Island in the Platte River, north of Fort Kearny. Junction was abandoned in 1890, leaving the name Kearney as it is known today, along with the two other communities of South Nebraska and South Kearner.
The wing stretched north to what is now Buda Station on the Union Pacific Railroad and stretched to a point near Lowell. After reaching the point at which it passed to the fortress, the line followed the highway on the north side of the river until it stretched westward along the south side again, across the Platte River to Fort Kearny, and then eastward to Omaha City. From there, the tract extends north again and extends west to Lowell, then south again to Grand Island.
It was not until 1872 that the Kearney Junction was founded, which was connected to the U.P. line by the Burlington-Missouri River Railroad, which runs south of the plate. The crossing was the first connection to the Union Pacific Railroad in this city of Burlington, Missouri. When Burlington Railroad crossed the Union Pacific Line in 1872, Kearneys Station was moved to this intersection and renamed Kearny Junction.
The Kearney City network is littered with streets that spin around an axis, compared to the streets in Nebraska City. The roads in South Omaha City are in the same direction as the roads in Nebraska, but they have shifted east and west, making the roadway corridors in this community less aligned. They met in the fort and met in the late 18th and early 19th centuries as part of the US Army Corps of Engineers near the fort.
The Beltway is on the southern edge of Nebraska City, and Rowh had in mind a two-mile stretch that began at the Kearney Canal Tailrace Dam near UNK and flowed east through the park into Turkey Creek. Highway 75 is now a dual-lane highway, while State Highway 2 is a restricted four-lane highway connecting the City of Lincoln and Interstate 29 with J. Sterling Morton. Today, Nebraska City and Omaha County are the only major highway connecting Omaha City and Omaha County.
Kearney is part of the statistical metropolitan area of Kearney, Nebraska, which consists of Buffalo and Kearny counties. Located on the western edge of Nebraska City and Omaha County, north of Omaha City, it is home to UNK, Nebraska State University and the University of North Dakota.
Although the Nebraska Territory was not founded until 1854, the area was already known for its natural beauty and natural resources. A telegraph link was built between Omaha and the Balaton Valley and a daily land mail route was established in 1860. New posts along the Oregon - California Trail soon protected thousands of pioneers camped in and around the vast forts of the Platter Valley.
Overland freighters knew the new Fort Kearney as the old Fort in Nebraska City, which bore the same name, but it was named in honor of its location at the mouth of the Platte River in the Platter Valley. Although not as big as Omaha or Omaha - Balaton, it was not as big by today's standards.
Large herds of buffalo grazed in the river valley and the rolling plains to the north of the area around the plate that would later become a county. Fort Kearney was founded in 1851, just a few years after the opening of Nebraska City and Omaha Fort.
The introduction of Nebraska as a state helped to boost development in Nebraska City and attract new settlers. The tourism industry developed and flourished in Kearney, with the opening of the Nebraska State Fair in 1851 and the Omaha Convention and Exposition in 1862.